Main ingredients: Cupcakes
• 180 ml whole milk
• 4 tsp loose-leaf black tea leaves
• 155 gr all purpose flour
• 1 ½ tsp baking powder
• ¼ tsp fine sea salt
• 150 gr granulated sugar
• 170 gr unsalted butter, at room temperature
• 1 egg
• 2 egg whites
• 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
Sub Recipe #1 Lemon buttercream
• 115 gr unsalted butter, at room temperature
• Grated zest of 2 lemons
• 135 gr confectioners’ sugar
• 240 gr fresh cheese (eg. Philadelphia)
1. In a small saucepan over low heat, combine milk and tea leaves and heat just until small bubbles begin to appear around the edges – do not oil. Remove from the heat and let steep until the milk cools to room temperature and it is the color of milk chocolate, about 30 minutes. Strain the tea, pressing down on the leaves to extract liquid. Discard the leaves.
2. Preheat the oven to 180 C. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer on medium-high speed to beat the butter and sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla.
4. Add the flour mixture and tea infused milk and ending with the flour, beating on low until just combined after each addition. Scrape down sides of the bowl as needed. After the last addition of flour, mix on medium for just another minute, until thoroughly combined.
5. Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups. Bake until a tester inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean, abut 17-20 minutes.
6. Remove cupcakes from tins and cool on a cooling rack for about 1 hour
1. In a large bowl, combine the butter and lemon zest. Cream together with an electric mixer on medium-high for 1 minute, then add the confectioners’ sugar and the fresh cheese. Beat on high, until mixture is light and fluffy. Frost the cooled cupcakes with the buttercream.